How can we improve SQL Test?

Allow copying text from SQL Test Messages window

It appears that there is an issue in SSMS (I am on SQL 2012 RTM, US English) that prevents you from copying text out of the SQL Test Messages window unless all SQL editor windows are saved to disk. For example, if you run some tests, then highlight the text in the SQL Test Messages window, and do either CTRL+C or Edit... Copy, SSMS will give you a scary error message if you haven't actually saved all of your query windows to disk files: "Unsaved documents cannot be cut or copied to the clipboard from the Miscellaneous Files project. You must save the unsaved document(s) before cutting or copying them.". Granted, this appears to be a bug in SQL Server Management Studio, but it would be great to have a workaround button called "Copy Messages" in the header to the SQL Test window as a workaround.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nycdotnetnycdotnet shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This is also true of SQL Source Control, when trying to copy text in the Commit Message textbox. You can't press Control-C, Control-X or Shift-Delete (cut). I have been told that this issue was fixed a few times, but this is not the case.

• nycdotnetnycdotnet commented  · 

It appears that this is fixed in SQL Test 1.5. I have been using it heavily and have not encountered this bug since upgrading that I can recall.

• RyanRyan commented  · 

So far I've had success with right-clicking and choosing 'Copy' instead of using Ctrl-C

• Anonymous commented  · 

I too have have this issue where I can't copy from Red Gate SQL search. I use this powerful tool all the time.

• DennisDennis commented  · 

Probably as a workaround you can open separate instance of SQL Server 2012 to run the SQL Search alone, for you to copy the text on the results pane. Just in case you need to copy the result.

• Chris SuireChris Suire commented  · 

This is a huge pain! I have the same error when trying to copy text out of the plugin search results of Red Gate's SQL Search. Worked in SSMS 2008, but not SSMS 2012.

Feedback and Knowledge Base